- Fixed a bug where city surplus food modifiers were calculated higher than intended for maritime citystates.
- Minimum turn time for techs is now 0.
- Moai statue tooltip clarified.
- 75% naval defender strength modifier (was 40%)
- Temple now provides culture on resources (was gold).
I hadn’t done the Temple thing before because there was no “culture on resources” attribute for buildings, only “culture per distinct resource type” (for Monasteries) which I felt was unnecessarily complicated. They changed how that works in the March patch. The game is still inconsistant for culture however. It requires the tile to be improved and does not properly display the yield bonus on the tile (unlike other yields). These are vanilla bugs we can’t fix as modders. The root cause is because culture isn’t actually a yield, it’s handled through lots of “hacky” manually-added stuff in the files.
- Fixed a complex vanilla bug relating to base and surplus yield modifiers, solving a problem with the Pioneer Fort. Base modifiers and surplus modifiers are now completely separate (in vanilla there was some ambiguous overlap).
Annoyingly… the mod browser blocks minor version decimal points (5.10) and blocks high version numbers (510), so I had to increment to 60. Sorry for any confusion this might cause! The tools we have are limited.
- To give Autocracy more gameplay value, it is no longer blocked by Liberty.
- Fixed a critical error with the city production popup.
- Fixed a bug causing the Aztec culture bonus to not properly distribute culture to cities.
- Fixed a bug where the anti-cavalry promotion incorrectly stated it was a bonus vs mounted units.
- Fixed a bug displaying incorrect food and culture on the city production popup.
- Fixed a bug where the Utopia Project could be built too early.
- Seaport gives +15xp for Sea Units
- Arsenal gives +15xp for Land Units
- Reduced XP from Armory and Military Academy so total land-unit XP from buildings remains 60.
- A.I. units start with a small amount of experience at higher difficulties, based on difficulty setting and era. This compensates for the fact the A.I. does not manage experienced units well.
- Lancers, Anti-Tank Guns, and Helicopters now have access to the Scouting and Survivalism promotions. Try them out for boosting flanking bonuses, scouting, and pillaging.
- 165 Lancer (was 240).
- 250 Anti-Tank Gun (was 350).
- Base of Submarine & NukeSub reverted to vanilla.
- +50% vs Capital Ships for Submarine & NukeSub.
- 70 defense Carrier (was 30).
- Unit maintenance reverted to /50 (was /75).
- -1 +1 on Coasts.
- 29 Cannon (was 31).
The mod is now available on the mod browser again, if you prefer to download that way. Version 5.6 is “56″ on the browser, since ModBuddy disallows ‘minor version’ decimal points. I skipped a version due to some uploading difficulties.
- Fixed the vanilla bug where Stealth Bombers cannot get promotions.
- Fixed the bug where the Pioneer Fort was not working.
- Fixed the bug where Ironclads and Guided Missiles had the wrong siege promotion.
- National Treasury and Ironworks now match the flat+percentage combination pattern of the National College.
- Hospitals now provide +25% food (was +15%). Break-even point with vanilla is a size 10 city.
I’m taking a break from modding for a while to focus on work and family. I’ll still be watching the forum threads to update with minor changes whenever bugs or gameplay issues are found, and will go on with heavy-duty modding when I feel ready to continue.
- Oligarchy should correctly negate unit maintenance now.
- Unit maintenance is now cost/75 (was cost/100).
- Reduced amount of Oil on the map.
- Added specialist slots to Power Plants, Broadcast Towers, and the Observatory.
- Slightly reduced policy costs.
- Reverted to the original mod ID, until the account-breaking bug is fixed. Savegames between 5.0 and 5.3 should be compatible again.
- Haka war dance promotion no longer obsoletes (Maori warrior).
Still waiting on confirmation the Mod Browser uploads are working again, so for now we’ve gotta rely on the CivFanatics download database (click the blue download button at right).
- Fixed small bug with Declaration of Friendship research, it was not properly giving research when no tech was currently being researched.
- Updated the Capital Railroad Boost bug-fix to 25% production.
- Updated Monestary tooltip with the undocumented patch 188.8.131.52 change: Monasteries now give 2 culture per resource, instead of per resource type.
- Meritocracy now requires Collective Rule (in addition to Citizenship).
- Reduced Roman trait back to vanilla value (since other production modifiers were also reduced in the patch).
- Added a small readme to the download indicating to check the website for mod details.
When I went to go upload v5.0 to the mod browser, ModBuddy broke another of my GameSpy accounts, as first happened back in October. By accident I have conclusively identified what causes this problem. It happened again when I merged two mod projects into one project.
If a modder merges projects in the wrong direction, logging into the account crashes ModBuddy.
- Merging project B into project A (A is now the primary mod) with the ID/Name of A works okay.
- Merging project A into project B (B is now the primary mod) with the ID/Name of A breaks ModBuddy and crashes online services with that specific username.
I started out with my mods in separate projects, and gradually merged these projects over the past half year, so whenever I merged in the wrong direction ModBuddy broke. Thalassicus1, Thalassicus2, 3, 4, 5… gamespy accounts are all unable to log on to update or remove mods from online services. This is going to make things difficult. I’m moving over a new Thalassicus6 account. It will take me a while to resolve this issue and get a version up on the ingame Mod Browser, and I apologize for the delay.
However! V5.0 of the modpack can be downloaded as normal at the download button on right. Patch notes can be seen a few posts down.
I’ve now uploaded v5.0. Click the download button at right to get it. Patch notes can be seen a few posts down.
If you encounter any bugs, please visit the Reporting Bugs thread.
Some of you might be aware that since patch 184.108.40.206, mods cannot be uploaded to the ingame Mod Browser. Once this issue is resolved I’ll upload the mod there. Until then you can get the mod by clicking the blue download button at right.
Modbuddy upload broken?
I’m hearing a lot about ModBuddy now crashing when logging in to the GameSpy services to upload or manage mods. Not yet tried it myself. Is this universal, and can we get some official word?SamBC
We have identified the issue and are working on a fix.2K Greg – 2K Games Community Manager
The release of the Polynesia DLC introduced a few new things to deal with in the internal files. I’ve uploaded v4.37 beta which should be fully compatible with the Polynesia DLC (click the download button at right). As usual, if you run into any bugs please head to the Reporting Bugs thread.
I’m going to delay the release of v5.0 until tomorrow (Friday) to make sure this is bug-free.
The 5 Favorite Leaders poll will be open for another week or two, so if you’re playing the mods and haven’t voted yet, please take a moment to vote! This poll will be a big part of deciding my focus for improving the “fun factor” of leaders in the next testing cycle
This update should be fully compatible with patch 220.127.116.11. If you find any bugs please drop by the Reporting Bugs thread. I expect to release v5.0 on Thursday, this is a preview of the patch notes.
I’ve re-organized the mod package to clearly distinguish between CiVUP and TBC. Each one has a distinct goal:
- CiV Unofficial Patch: minimal gameplay impact like BUG from Civ 4, fixing bugs, missing information or critical problems with the game and its user interface.
- Thal’s Balance Combined: increase the choices and interesting decision-making opportunities available to the player by tweaking the power of various strategies.
To use only CiVUP simply add an “_” underscore to the “TBC – Thals Balance Combined” folder name, and it’s disabled.
Changes from this mod included in patch 18.104.22.168 (removed from these mods or altered for v5.0):
- Scaled up tech costs throughout the game (slight change for early eras; close to double for Modern).
- Aqueduct building added for early food storage.
- Moved an artist from Temple to Opera House.
- Moved a merchant from Bank to Stock Exchange.
- Improved policy rate for both large and small empires:
- Liberty tree culture improved.
- Tradition tree culture improved.
- Artist specialist yield improved.
- Removed the 1 free policy per era.
- Liberty tree policies give free units.
- Colossus no longer goes obsolete.
- Permanently fixed the Krepost/Angkor Wat bug so they use independent plot cost attributes.
- Mine and Trading Post improve yield with techs.
- Lumbermill improves yield with earlier techs.
- Improves yield of nearby resources:
- Nuclear Plant.
- Solar Plant.
- Great Person improvement base yields.
- Tradition tree.
- Liberty tree.
- Aztec culture gain from kills.
- Paper Makers.
- Base yield of fish.
- Food from Sugar plantations.
Civ V Unofficial Patch
- Everything on the top bar is now clickable.
- If you have a Great Person coming up, clicking that section of the top bar will bring up the city where the GP will be born in. If there’s no GP points generated in any cities, this section now shows current Great General progress, and clicking it brings up the military overview. In addition, the tooltip for this section has been reorganized to present more information in a way that’s also easier to visually scan over at a glance.
- Strategic and luxury resources have been combined into one resource section. The result is visually very similar to before, but is much more optimized on the code side, and now shares a tooltip with uniform formatting. The gem icon now shows surplus luxuries instead of total. Resources completely absent from trade are now grayed out on the tooltip, so it’s easier to find which luxuries you need. Clicking the resource section now brings up the diplomacy overview.
- Clicking happiness or golden age sections brings up the economic overview, where the happiness tab is located. I’m not sure how to tell it to focus on a particular tab.
- Added to the unofficial patch (for compatibility reasons):
- Sneak’s custom notifications system (modder’s tool).
- Alpaca’s DiploCorner(modder’s tool).
- Morlark’s “Smarter TechTree Pipes” bugfix(modder’s tool).
- The “Hover Info” mod by Adam Watkin. Hovering over a worker’s unit flag shows “turns until complete” when the worker’s building something.
- The city production list now automatically sorts by category, fixing the problem where mod units/buildings always go to the bottom.
- The resource list now show how much is imported from citystates, and deducts these from the displayed “surplus” quantity.
- Fixed a bug with vanilla city view’s display of food income. It now splits display of all yields into base, base modifier, surplus, surplus modifier, and total. Only relevant information is displayed. This was rather complicated, and took about a day to finish rewriting some rather jumbled vanilla code, so please point out any errors.
- Fixed Maritime City-States.
MCS now give 2 (3 when allied) per era to the empire as a whole, split among all cities. How much MCS food a city is recieving can be seen in its city window when hovering over the food at top-left.
- Fixed research agreements.
5% of the joint research of two players with a Declaration of Friendship adds to Science every turn. This requires Philosophy and an active Declaration of Friendship, and replaces the “free tech” mechanism of research agreements.
- Fixed the bug with flag promotion display.
- Promotions now update melee/ranged status as soon as a unit is upgraded, instead of when you end your turn.
- Clicking the turn timer or date on the top bar now opens InfoAddict if you have it installed.
- Redesigned the purchase modifier on tooltips so it’s easy to tell, at a glance, how cost-efficient things are. It now shows (/) as a percent multiplier.
- The clock now remembers if you change it between 12/24hr time formats.
- Added translations in Deutsch for building tooltips (thanks Berkan!)
- Added a temporary partial fix for starvation notices appearing when a city is not starving. The notification no longer appears, and I’m trying to figure out how to hide the sound effect + glow that occurs on the city. This notification display is coded in the c++ side of things so it’s difficult to get rid of or change.
Balance – Combined
- +1 on sea tiles from a Seaport.
- Moved +1 on sea tiles from the Lighthouse to the base coast terrain.
- National wonders now require the prereq building in 80% of cities. This requirement must be met when construction is started (or resumed), and is not interrupted each time a city is added to the empire (but the cost does go up as normal).
Removed resource bonuses
Returned maintenance cost back to vanilla 3/turn
+50% for sea units (was 25%)
+15xp for sea units (was 0)
- +15xp for air units with an Arsenal.
- 100 Watermill (was 120).
- Moved the Camp improvement to Archery to improve the value of the Archery tech.
- Reduced the cost of the Trapping tech.
- Aqueduct and Baths of Trajan moved to former ‘trapping’ tech, which is now Sanitation. Sanitation is a Classical Era tech focusing on population growth and the economy, unlocking Aqueducts, Baths, and Villages.
- To match the Firaxis developers’ trend of gradually deflating gold numbers (both trading post income and building maintenance expenses) I’ve done:
- 1 villages (vanilla)
- Reduced purchase costs
- Reduced unit maintenance costs
- Citystates start with defensive units.
- Knight tech now requires only Civil Service and Horseback Riding.
- Cavalry tech swapped with Fertilizer.
- Capturing cities now displays a notification on the right side of the screen instead of at the center.
- Reduced Maritime capture bonus to 4.
- +25% cost for Longswords’ tech.
- Siege units rebalanced:
- Weaker against land units.
- Stronger against fortified units and cities.
- Promotions more important.
- Fighters/bombers now use aluminum. (Cumulatively, all aircraft now use aluminum while modern land/sea units use oil.)
- Size of aluminum deposits increased.
- Land units deal half damage to ships.
- Submarines can get the Scouting and Survivalism promotion paths. Rank III of either one unlocks Supply (like Targeting III does).
- Arabia’s trait now increases trade route income by 10% (about 1 per 8 citizens)(was +1 per city).
- Aztec sacrificial captives are now sent to the lowest-culture city to be sacrificed (adding to that city’s culture).
- Replaced the American Pioneer with the Pioneer Fort, unique Walls providing +50% surplus food in the city.
- Updated Tradition and Liberty trees to match vanilla.
- Tradition – Landed Elite: replaced ICS-friendly +2 per city effect with a small science bonus for specialists.
- Liberty – Republic: 11 per city
- Removed the free policy per era mechanic.
- This component has been completely included in the core game and is therefore obsolete.
- Great person improvement base yields included in the core game and now obsolete. I still have the tech increases for these in the mod.
- Added to the Balance – Combined package, Sneaks’ “What Would Gandhi Do” mod addresses issues with AI diplomacy.
Testing is under way for the post-patch 22.214.171.124 version of these mods. I expect to have v5.0 out no later than Thursday March 3. I completed most things needed for compatibility beforehand so we’re just testing for bugs.
If you would like to try v4.35 beta (which should be compatible with the patch) it’s now available on the download page. Click the large download button at right. Note this is a beta and will likely contain bugs and other issues. If you encounter any bugs, please drop by the Reporting Bugs thread.
For information about beta progress check out the Beta v4.X – General Discussion thread.
In other news…
I moved most documentation to this website. Each readme is now a page on the menus at the top-right of the screen. This way you can see what’s in the mods before downloading. Please post in the Documentation Errors thread if you notice any mistakes, inconsistencies, or broken links in the documentation, or if something is just confusing and needs clarification.
I also have a 5 Favorite Leaders poll up on the forums. If you’ve been playing with the balance mods, drop by and vote! The results of this poll will be used to determine priorities for leader balance in the next testing cycle.