- Observatory requires a mountain in cultural borders within 2 tiles (was 1 tile).
- +10% strength for Swordsmen and Horsemen.
- Scouts now receive tech, culture, or other such rewards from Ancient Ruins in place of an upgrade.
- Rearranged several policies and effects in the Tradition, Commerce, and Rationalism trees.
- +3 with Tradition (was 2).
- Removed the Great Artist from Legalism.
- Free Speech now gives +1 on Villages and Moai (was unit maintenance reduction).
- Each of the three playstyles (tall, wide, conquest) now enhance defensive buildings in a unique way.
- World wonders that also count as a second building type now meet the prerequisite for national wonders that require the second building type.
- Barbarian units now correctly use strategic resources like their normal counterparts.
- Reduced the ranged strength of the Barbarian Archer and Chariot. These weren’t reduced properly in v8.0 due to a rounding error.
- Porcelain Tower and Rationalism now correctly affect research agreements.