Click to download the beta.
- Reduced likelihood of early Barbarian horsemen.
- Egypt: War Chariot is 125% of Chariot (was 140%).
- China: Citadels now start with 1, and gain +2 with the Training tech (was 3, 0).
- Slightly reduced the amount of territory people start with when surrounded by lots of inhospitable land like Snow (too many barbarians).
- Possibly fixed a bug involving strange happiness and yield effects.
- Panzers now have equal strength as Modern Armor (not equal cost).
- “Play speech” settings in Civup_Options now works correctly (on/off flag was reversed).
A combination of job-related work, and a thorny bug in the latest beta will likely delay the full release of this beta cycle. I can hopefully get it done within the next week or two, but it will take more time than expected.
This open beta is a TEST work in progress for advanced users to play around with. Stability and balance of beta versions cannot be assured. In my free time away from job & family, I’m currently working on implementing the simpler parts of the Leaders plan in this beta test.
Click to download the beta.
Click to discuss new leader strategies and interesting experiences.
- Reduced the quantity of vanguard units AIs aim for in wartime.
- Minimum AI army composition changes to a new set of units after gunpowder units appear.
- -10% combat penalty when resources get pillaged (was 20%) (penalty mostly hurt AIs).
- +100% experience and -10% strength with Blitz (was 100, -25).
- +25% defense with Trenches and Guerrilla ranks 1, 2, 3 (was 15, 15, 20).
- Recon 2 allows use of enemy roads.
- Moved faster pillaging from Survivalist to Recon 2.
- Removed Survivalist.
- Camps are defended by Chariot units less often.
- Merged the Missionary and Great Prophet (mostly redundant).
- Merged the offense and defense enhanced beliefs (too specialized individually).
- Half maintenance for unique warriors (Aztec and Polynesian).
- Carthage starts with a Trireme.
- Carthaginian civilians can embark from the start of the game.
- Carthaginian Cothons (harbor) give 1 Tyrian Purple luxury resource (Phoenicians were earliest traders of this luxury).
- Byzantine Basilica (temple) gives instant faith and unlocks early.
- Ethiopia gets faster rate from each Alliance, and higher vs civs with more cities (peaceful tall).
- Ethiopian Stele (monument) gives from population (peaceful tall).
- German Panzers (tank) are stronger.
- Korean Hwach’a (trebuchet) are 10% weaker outside friendly territory (isolationist).
- Ottoman Janissaries (musketman) heal every turn, and gain a bonus near friendly military units (quickly replaced losses).
- Songhai ranged units move faster, and vanguard units see farther (mobility).
- Swedish Allotment gives +1 from Farms (military history).
- Swedish Folkskola (public school) gets extra and appears earlier (one of the earliest public systems).
- Swedish Carolean (musketman) heals after destroying enemies (known for their charges).
- Spoils of War: Killing units salvages gold, and +25% rewards from capturing Citystates.
- Increased late tech costs 10%.
- Theology no longer requires Currency.
- Trade no longer requires Pottery.
- Moved Villages back to Trade (original location).
- Moved the freshwater village bonus to Optics (was Sailing).
- Shrines, Wealth, and Research have no tech prerequisite (early game options were restrictive).
- The game now autosaves every 15 minutes. You can control this in the Interface tab of Game Options (ctrl+o).
- City and national happiness now show on city view screens (by NoSkill and whoward69).
- The top bar now shows faith “stored/needed”, instead of “stored (turns remaining)”.
- The “declare war” button for citystates now indicates capturing a CS gives a reward equal to 40 turns of alliance.
- Added new versions of the Detect icon (eye).
- The Civup_Options file now contains options to disable speech for specific parts of the game:
- Starting a game (default off).
- Getting a wonder (default on).
- Getting a tech (default on).
Civup: Mod Tools
- Added a “Pillage” flavor for units.
- City-health defense buildings should now correctly increase max city health in loaded games.
- Lines on building tooltips which change mid-game should show correctly now.
- Disabling gold gifts in the Civup_Options file is now independent of the “using CSD” option.
- Oral Tradition and Monument to the Gods pantheon effects should now match the tooltips.
- Buildings which increase river yields should show their ability correctly now (hydro plant, indus sanitation).
- The faith cost to purchase units with the Holy Warrior belief now reliably depends on unit production costs.
- Fixed bugs causing AIs to have more happiness than intended, and less of other yields than intended.
- Liturgical Drama should now correctly list the Theater as its connected building (not Amphitheater).
- Made changes to improve compatibility between this project and Gedemon’s Earth maps.
- Humans and AIs now use different technology_flavor tables, allowing more fine-tune control of AI tech choices.
- Corrected costs for Theatre, Smithy, and Workshop.
- Removed Air Repair (redundant with March).
- Fixed “good for” mistakes with Stone Works, Merchant Navy, Seaport, national wonders, and policies.
- Sistine Chapel should now work correctly.
- Mongol Khans can now start golden ages, like normal great generals.
- Buildings which give a city instant food/prod/culture/population should now work correctly.
- v.2 Smithy now has cost appropriate for its tech level.
I plan to release an update sometime next week. This is going to be a major update, probably with a beta test in advance of the public release. 🙂
I’m working somewhat slower on this project recently due to family and job-related matters.
Check out this video:
Thanks TheAdipose for this information! I’m going to find a way to bundle Civup and GEM together for people in the future who want to use this method to play modded multiplayer.